Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Martian: A Review





I came across The Martian by Andy Weir while looking around online. It looked interesting and so I placed it on hold. If it didn’t catch me I could always send it back. That did not happen; The Martian had me from the first sentence and read it in little more than one sitting.
Six days after landing on Mars a massive dust storm forces an early evacuation from the surface. Astronaut Mark Watney is slammed into by an antenna and is knocked out.  His crew mates believing him dead blast off and start the trek home to Earth. Marc Watney is alone on Mars. Thankfully, there are some resources to help him survive for a little while.  
I remember a time as a young teenager camping with friends, laying and looking up at the night sky. It was the first time I truly appreciated how miniscule we are, just teeny tiny flecks hanging onto the surface of a ball of dirt and gas hurtling through space. It unsettled me for a little bit and then I relaxed. The story brought that feeling back for me in trying to put myself into the characters situation. I was surprised that the story didn’t veer into the  existential.
The story is full of adventure and science. Lots of science.  Author Andy Weir did a great job of bringing across realistic hard science into a easy to understand and fun style.  When a problem would present its self, I looked forward to seeing how Watney was going to solve it.
It is a book worth checking out.
Oh, and the movie will be out soon.  Directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon

No comments:

Post a Comment