Tuesday, May 24, 2016

The Obsession by Nora Roberts Review

The Obsession by Nora Roberts

When Maragaret, our shelving volunteer, handed me The Obsession by Nora Roberts and said it was a good book I thought egh. I had never read any Nora Roberts books before, traditional romance books aren’t my preference. I read the synopsis and the first pages and was quickly sucked into the book surprising myself. I checked the book out and took an early lunch.

Just before her twelfth birthday Naomi wakes and follows her father into the woods. She saves a life and exposes her father as a serial killer. The story is about her life being changed by the actions of those close to her and then her learning to make the changes she wants. Naomi is a fun main character and I enjoyed the whole bit about the house and photography stuff. One of my favorite moments from the book involved Tag, a road worn stray that is homed. While healing from being fixed he kept getting out of the cone of shame. So, Naomi made him the Pants of Heroism to wear instead. The visual image of the dog in pants was great. 

Even though I pegged the villain from just after their introduction it didn’t affect the enjoy ability of the story. The things that did bother me was how almost stupid the characters acted toward the climax of the book, typical  horror movie stupidity. While I won't be in a hurry to read her previous books, I would give her future books a chance to catch my attention. 

Amazon Description:
 
“She stood in the deep, dark woods, breath shallow and cold prickling over her skin despite the hot, heavy air. She took a step back, then two, as the urge to run fell over her.”

Naomi Bowes lost her innocence the night she followed her father into the woods. In freeing the girl trapped in the root cellar, Naomi revealed the horrible extent of her father’s crimes and made him infamous. No matter how close she gets to happiness, she can’t outrun the sins of Thomas David Bowes.

Now a successful photographer living under the name Naomi Carson, she has found a place that calls to her, a rambling old house in need of repair, thousands of miles away from everything she’s ever known. Naomi wants to embrace the solitude, but the kindly residents of Sunrise Cove keep forcing her to open up—especially the determined Xander Keaton.

Naomi can feel her defenses failing, and knows that the connection her new life offers is something she’s always secretly craved. But the sins of her father can become an obsession, and, as she’s learned time and again, her past is never more than a nightmare away.


This book is available at the Lake County Library.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment